Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2011 05:58:48 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

>The idea that microbial communities are generally beneficial to organisms has been over-sold. Just as often, microbes cause disease and degradation. To wit:

The above is logical (and practical) nonsense.  I doubt you can name an organism larger than the head of a pin that doesn't absolutely rely on microbial cultures to live day to day.  "just as often microbes cause disease and degradation" would mean that 50% of all populations (of everything) are diseased.

We are all dying...closer to death every day.  But we would all die almost immediately if our bodies and environments were sterile....we (and our environments) would be immensely susceptible to pathogens if the existing cultures within and without (the ones we rely on, the ones we are used to) were to suddenly disappear.

By "we", I mean all of us, from amoeba to bee, to dog, to tomato plant, to tree, to whale....and of course, including Bee-L posters and readers.

http://www.helium.com/items/1254604-the-importance-of-microorganisms-in-the-earths-ecosystems
"Symbiotic microorganisms are essential to many, if not all, forms of macroscopic life. Coral cannot survive without the symbiotic algae that they harbor and protect within their small bodies. Termites could not digest the cellulose that they consume from wood without bacteria that live within their guts. Even humans rely on symbiotic microbes to help digest their food.

Even those processes that we might consider to be negative serve a useful purpose to the ecosystem as a whole. Microorganisms are often responsible for disease and can cause death. To the creatures that are sick this can be a terrible thing. But, when looked at from the perspective of the ecosystem this can result in an overall benefit. Disease is more likely to eliminate those organisms that are weak. In so doing they make room for the stronger to survive and become healthier. Often a sad fact, in the long run this can make for a stronger environment.

The interactions of microorganisms on our planet are diverse and essential. Without this, all life on Earth would cease to exist."

deknow