From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 08:35:04 -0400
John Wolford wrote:

> I have one hive that was determined to be queenless and have laying
> workers.  I was advised to replace two frames from the laying worker colony
> with two brood frames from the strong colony in liew of introducing a new
> queen to the queenless colony.  I was told that the queenless colony would
> develop a new queen possilby from these two new frames.  The introduction
> of a new queen to the laying workers would result in conflict with the
> confused bees and would ultimatly be killed.  Does anybody else have any
> information or ideas about this?

There has recently been information on this list about treating hives
with laying workers, so I won't repeat that, except to emphasize: DO NOT
TRY TO INTRODUCE A QUEEN INTO A LAYING WORKER HIVE!! It is a waste
money, time and a perfectly good queen, since she will surely be
killed.  The same goes for putting in young brood.  Such a hive will not
even try to raise a queen for themselves, since in their opinion, they
have about a dozen perfectly good substitute queens.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA