From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:56:09 -0400
>I do not understand some of the things that I have read on the net.
>Some of the queen raisers from the North are saying that a queen raised
>in the North are better for Northern beekeepers than queens raised in
>the South.

Its not that its just raised in the north. The northern queen breeders are
going to be selecting stock that does well in the cold, whether they want to
or not! If stock does not winter well then when the breeder goes out to his
hives in spring he will find an empty box with dead bees. The ones that do
well will get to be queen and drone mothers.

Issues such as how fast brood production is shut down once things start
getting cold and how fast they pick up once spring arrives would be major
players. In the south issues of short winters, with little or no brood
shutdown would be factors.