From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:45:04 -0500
Hello All,
In the Midwest (U.S.) we are seeing some of the highest heat index in years.
However heat in the 90F. range with high humidity (110 F. heat index) makes
for bumper honey crops.
I have had calls from hobby beeks wondering what commercial beeks do in this
heat so thought a post might be in order.
Our work goes on. First priority is to stay ahead of the bees in the honey
super department.
Second our workday starts at six AM in the morning. Hard for many to get up
and start work so early but worth the effort. We carry two gallons of water
on the truck for each person. Sweat bands and loose fitting clothing.
When we feel sick we leave the yard and head for a cool place.
*All* my yards are close to a pond. If signs of heat stress start ( hives
under arms, dizzy or light headed  or not sweating) many times hit the pond
before leaving. Twice I have resorted to the method and symptoms went away
fast.
Sweat is important and if you quit sweating then wet you and your suit with
water.
We try to work a half day in morning and if needed a few hours from 6-9 PM
in the evening. Pull honey early in the morning and if heat is brutal we
extract at night.
All beekeepers need to take high heat & humidity serious. I worry constantly
in high heat & humidity about my help. George Immirie ( Pink Pages & BEE-L)
said the beekeepers most valuable item was his supers . I see my most
valuable item is my help.
Using Bugg Bafflers ( available off the net) over heavy bee suits helps the
most but does make for a higher number of stings.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

What methods do other beekeepers use?