From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 09:36:40 EDT
About four weeks ago I created a shook swarm from a hive that was
preparing to swarm.  I shook between half and two thirds of the bees
from the original hive into a shallow honey super/brood chamber
containing nine frames of foundation only.  I located the queen and
moved her into the shallow super, to which I added a queen excluder and
three supers containing round section comb frames.  My goal in this
maneuver was twofold: to prevent the hive from swarming and to harvest a
crop of round sections.

I placed the shook swarm on the original hive site so all field bees
would return there.  I cut out numerous queen cells from the original
hive (all I could find), introduced a queen in a queen cage, placed the
hive about four feet behind the original site and closed everything up.
Two weeks later I moved the original hive about twenty feet away so
the bees that became field bees in that time would drift to the shook
swarm.

Meantime, back at the shook swarm the queen has been doing a regal job
producing a new generation.  The shallow super brood chamber is filled
with eggs, larvae and capped brood.  The bad news is that the bees have
not been that quick to move into the round section supers.

Now while all this was going on, I captured a mid sized swarm of bees
that I put into a shallow super brood chamber with two medium (Illinois)
supers on top.  Both this captured swarm and the shook swarm are
progressing, but not as quickly as the honeyflow.  I am considering
uniting the captured swarm with the shook swarm and operating it as a
two queen hive.  I would do this by placing a queen excluder and a sheet
of newspaper between both shallow brood chambers and place the round
section supers above both.

Anyone care to comment on what I'm considering?  Does this sound like an
idea with merit or does this sound like total folly?  Anyone have any
experience running a two queen colony?  If I go for this, I'll do it
this Saturday, so send those comments quickly!