From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 12:43:09 -0500
>     In my recent readings, I have come across some references to using
>     tobacco
>     in the smoker with the implication that the tobacco smoke kills
>     varroa.
>     Is there any validity to this?
>     What benefits are derived from using tobacco?
>     What drawbacks?
>     Opinions?
We have used it in the past as a general smoker fuel. It seems to have a
more calming effect, but to my knowledge it won't kill Varroa. At least not
in the strength you use for the bees!! Not much point in killing the host to
eradicate the pest!!!
        Bees are air breathers as we are, too much tobacco smoke will knock
them down, from which they might not recover.(Lung Cancer in Bees?  ;-) )
        Varroa is narcotized by tobacco smoke and then falls off the bees.
We do offer a Varroa Quick Test based on tobacco for those who might need it.

   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *