From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:22:11 -0400
In a message dated 97-04-12 16:04:13 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Aaron
Wolfenbarger) writes:

<< I was wondering if any of you are familier with the company Dadant.  If so
 they have a foundation for brood called Duraguilt(or durabuilt) TM and I was
 wondering what the difference was. And since the Duraguilt has
"communication
 holes" that if those would make a difference as well. Thanks in advance. >>

   Aaron, I use Duragilt almost exclusively, as I do not have time to wire
frames of foundation.  A wired frame of comb, if it is done right, is the
best there is, but the labor cost makes it about double the Duragilt.

   Duragilt is good, if you are careful to center the foundation exactly in
the frames, and make sure there are no places along the groove, where it pops
out.  This will make it bow, and the bees will make thick comb on one side,
and chew the other side down to the plastic base, after which it will never
be repaired by the bees.

   The communication holes are necessary for the bees.  On wired frames they
almost always make holes in the lower corners of the frames, but they
couldn't, if the plastic base were continuouos.  So they are made with holes.
 Be sure to put the holes at the bottom of the frame.

   One nice thing about Duragilt, is if it is damaged, you can pop the old
one out of the frame, clean the groove (Dadant has a special tool for this),
and pop in a new one.  It is easier if you get grooved top and bottom bars,
rather than split bottoms and wedge type tops.  Then you just pop in the
foundation, straighten the metal reinforcing edge, and it's ready to use.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm