From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:25:12 -0500
Paul Cherubini wrote:

> Some perspective:
>
> Coumaphos is EPA approved for direct application to
> beef and lactating dairy cattle, sheep, goats, swine, horses
> and poultry to control a wide range of external parasites
> http://www.mindspring.com/~cherubini/coumaphos.jpg

One problem with applying any definitive characteristics or danger to a
pesticide is that you need to know its formulation, application
instructions and carrying agents. In one form it can be fairly benign
while in another, persistent and dangerous. Lots of things come into
play, including strength, solubility, how applied, when applied,
temperature, what it is dissolved/mixed with, etc. So I would be careful
with generalities. A classic example is that even though our stomachs
contain hydrochloric acid and it is essential to our good health, it is
not a good idea to drink lab grade undiluted HCl.

If organophosphates were relatively benign, they would not be being
phased out of the pesticide inventory. I consider them dangerous and am
happy to see them go.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME