From:
MR MARK G SPAGNOLO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 13:37:32 -0500
Hi:

Living on the "dry" side of the island of Hawaii, we deal with the
problem of bees and water all year.  Actually, certain times of the
year, related to certain nectar flows, are worse than others.

After trying many different ideas, we now use 100 gallon water tanks
with water hyacinth on top.  The water is kind of murky and the
hyacinth provides a landing for the bees.  It works well.

Part of the secret is to keep the tanks filled.  The bees will use
the water year round.  If the tank goes dry the bees will find
another source and use that until it too goes dry.

I can always tell when the Christmas berry (Brazilian Pepper to those
of you in FL.) starts, as the bees will suddenly cover the water tank.
  When the tank is clear again I know the flow is over!

Mark at Kona Queen