From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 08:27:58 +0700
>  But, just how much better are the holes over no
> holes, and, are they also "better" on the medium (6 5/8") honey
> supers? I have more than a few combs made with wired/wax foundation
> in which the bees have not made communication holes, and others
> which have several.  Is there good evidence that anyone knows of off
> the top of their heads, or is this just an attempt to mimic what
> happens sometimes with wax foundation in the belief that it makes a
> difference?

I always figured the communication holes were caused by several things:

1.  Bees that were not on a strong flow chewing the corners of the
     foundation - possibly for wax to draw the centre - while
     halfheatedly drawing foundation.

2.  Mice in the hive.

3.  beekeepers cutting cells or whatever.

As far as I've observed, the bees will draw even jumbo sheets right
to the corners in a strong flow, so I presume this is what they do
under good conditions.

Natural comb found in granaries and other places can be *huge* with
no holes - and they are attached on the top to boot - so I presume
holes are unneccessary.

Having said that, I think holes probably don't hurt, and likely can
help in winter - especially if you do not provide a bee space above
your frames due to a quilt or sack on the top of the frames, or
because of a shallow rabbet.

In such as case in winter, holes near the top would be more helpful,
because the bees should have no trouble getting under the frames.

We are looking at minus forty outside and have no more communication
holes than accident provides, and we aren't worried.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>