From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:43:13 -0600
> The key is to get "a lot" of chemical on
> the pad, but keep the pad a little distance away from the bees... For
> some reason, if the bees get too large a dose of the stuff, they don't move!

I agree about the distance, but am not in accord about the amount.  I think a
tablespoon or so every so often is lots, if it is spread evenly over the cloth.

It is very important to NOT get any on the wood where drips might get
transferred onto the super and important NOT to dispense the material over the
hive.  Do it on the ground or your truck bed.  Buyers are now checking for this
stuff in honey and loads are being rejected some places for levels that are too
high.

The real trick is to use smoke to start the bees down.  Once they start moving,
the butyric anhydride will chase them a long way under the right conditions.

Having said all that, I will also say I won't allow the stuff anywhere near my
place.  The smell lingers for months, and once you are used to it, you lose the
ability to detect it on yourself and everything you own and don't notice how you
smell when you go places.

Don't let it into your house.  It smells like dog feces, and even the scented
stuff smells like cherry-flavoured dog sh*t.

Butyric anhydride also bothers my bronchia and I cannot stand being downwind
from it.  carbolic never bothered me.  Gosh I miss that stuff.

This from a guy who thinks formic is no big deal.  Go figure.

allen
---
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/
Package bees, winter loss, fondant, Pierco vs. Permadent vs. dark comb,
unwrapping, splitting, raising queens, AFB, varroa, protein patties, moving
bees, pollination experiences, daily mumblings and more... Thousands served...