From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 19:01:05 +0000

>Mike further wrote:
>>I also am interested in numbers and measurement related to beekeeping.
>>What measurements can be made that give added value to beekeepers?
>
>In my opinion beekeeping is absolutely full of measurements, e.g.
Hi

Now I think that I have not made myself clear.  There are indeed a lot
of measurements to be made, and Tom lists many of them.  What I was
driving at was a question on the measurements that we ought to be
making, but do not know how to at present.  For example, how can we
measure the state of the colony in relation to swarming? ( Wood's
Apidictor claimed to be able to do this, and perhaps that is why the
interest in it goes on. ) Is it possible to measure routinely a queen's
performance, so that advance warning of a failing queen can be obtained?

Dreaming on, perhaps if we knew more quantitative measurements about
pheromones and had a sensitive chemical probe to detect them we might
revolutionise beekeeping totally?

regards
--
Mike Rowbottom