From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 06:04:17 -0500
I dislike liquefying honey, but much of the market demands it, and it is too
big a portion to ignore.  The heat recommended by "Hive and Honeybee" is 140
to 150 F for 30 minutes.  Not wishing to overheat I have sometimes been left
with some small seed crystals and think that perhaps a polariscope would be
a help in seeing them.

The "Hive and Honeybee" has a picture of one but it is impossible to tell
from it whether the polaroid lens is just between the jar and the eye or
both between the jar and the eye *AND* the jar and the lightsource.

Looking at the bee-l logs I see that there was a discussion once on
directions for a homemade polariscope in the "ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping".
Since I do not have this book, I wonder if someone would post the correct
placement of polaroid lenses in relation to light source, honey jar, and eye
(and whether there are any rotation requirements).

BTW, any comments on how well these are for seeing seed?

Thankyou in advance,
Stan