Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:52:13 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/99 7:03:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Currently, I do no splits. Instead, I let those hives that have excess
 population swarm naturally. I then collect the swarms as the sole means
 of hive increase.  . . . The downside is the intense labor needed to
 collect and hive up the swarms especially in mid May. " >>

   This is the old fashioned way, but I hate to see beekeepers doing it
today. You can make yourself very unpopular in a community, if you let your
bees swarm freely. All of us beekeepers tend to get blamed for the swarm
problems.

   Furthermore, you will lose some swarms. After feeding and medicating, all
the care you've put into them, you lose half - the best half actually.  It's
about like raising cattle, and letting your calves run off and get lost in
the woods.

   With good management, most swarms can be prevented, and the beekeepers
will come out ahead. Please put a little effort into learning swarm
management.

   I think you are defining the difference between a bee haver/robber, and a
bee keeper.

Dave Green    Hemingway, SC   USA
The Pollination Home Page:     http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene:   http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles):
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm