From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:23:37 -0500
Lloyd Spear wrote:

> ...is your reference knapweed or knotweed?  I am reasonably sure
> knapweed (a thistle-like noxious weed) starts producing around July 15 and
> is a very light honey, similar to yellow-star thistle; to which it is
> related.  Knotweed, I think, is a bamboo-like plant and seems to produce as
> you stated.

I would agree with Lloyd.  Here in southeastern Michigan knapweed (better
known here as star thistle) is *the* major summer honey flow source.  The
honey is very light and delicate, and the plant is abundant, filling all waste
places and roadsides.  It blooms here from about July 15 to August 15, and
when this bloom is over it's time to extract.  Interestingly, this honey is
exceedingly slow to granulate, a thick liquid through most of the winter.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA