From:
Jeffrey Lavett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 07:43:50 -0700
Here in the mountains of northern California, a critter has been
gobbling my brood and honey. Three nights ago, something attacked five
hives housing recent package installations. Boxes were tumbled off their
bottom boards, frames splintered, and comb was licked down to the
plastic substrate. In a few cases, the plastic was bitten through.

After clearing away the mess and replacing new foundation, I stapled
everything together and wrapped bungy cords all the way round the brood
boxes. The next night, the critter returned, but only attacked two
hives. These hives it knocked off their stands and managed to turn one
of them upside down, although it couldn't get inside. I bought a live
trap large enough for skunks and coons and baited it with Col. Sanders'
best. I assume if it were a bear that it would have simply smashed the
box instead of giving up on it. I'm also making sticker sticks to screw
around the base of the bottom boards.