From:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 07:40:52 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 03 May 1999 13:35
Subject: hive scale

>I was told by a fellow beekeeper he had seen plans for building a hive
>scale in a bee publication If anyone knows where I could get a copy  I
would appreciate it.
>Bob Young
>LIndale,TX

The basic principle of the hive scale which I use is an ordinary bathroom
scales. Use an eke adapted by covering the top with timber with a hole cut
in the timber to allow the dial to be read from below. You also have to cut
a hole in the wall of the eke to allow for the periscope. The hive ( with a
re-inforced floor) is rested on top of the scales.

The scales are read by making a periscope with a lath of timber and   two
small mirrors.

To allow light to get to the scales so that you can read the hive must be on
a stand, or you can shine a torch through the periscope and illuminated the
dial in that manner.

The Devon Association's Magazine "Beekeeping" had an article on this some
years ago.

Ruary Rudd