From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:56:04 -0500
Greetings all,
     Today, I opened a hive that I started 3 weeks ago as a split.  Two
weeks ago, I replaced the old queen with a young queen that I had purchased.
Upon opening the hive today, the first nice, warm, sunny day in 5 days, I
found the beginnings of 2 swarm cells in the burr comb on the bottom of one
of the frames.  They both had jelly and larvae.  I know they arent crowded
too much, because when I placed the queen in the hive I added another deep
body of foundation, and moved a frame of brood up into it to draw up the
bees.  In addition, there were a couple partially drawn frames in the bottom
deep body.  There were only 3-4 frames of sealed brood in the hive.  Was
this the result of being couped up for 5 days due to cloudy damp weather?
We are having a decent nectar flow now, and they appear to be drawing the
foundation pretty well, but should I feed them too?  Feel free to e-mail me
instead of posting to the list.  Thanks all!
Scott Moser