Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 21:01:59 GMT+0200
7BIT
From:
Hi All

I have heard of beekeepers in areas like Bulawayo (Zimbabw) and
Durban (south Africa) who trap hundreds, to thousands of colonies a
year.

These guys use cities as trapping zones and recognize that bees seem
to be drawn into urban areas from surounding bush, and follow certain
routes through the suburbs. Catch batteries placed at good sites
catch more swarms. (I have heard of up to 200 in a week in northern
SA!! during swarming season)

Large scale trappers tend to remove old colonies and place them in
new boxes, then kit the old boxes out with frames and wax strips and
leave them at strategic places - generally walls facing the rising
sun, or on rooves that are sheltered from wind.

Once commercial beekeeper in Durban traps over 1000 colonies a year
in this fashion!!

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139 South Africa

Time = Honey