From:
Lars Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:59:37 +0100
Dear list.

Christopher Slade wrote:

"There is an obvious conflict between those who get their living directly from bees and have their family to feed and workers and bills to pay NOW and we amateurs"...

I would like to add to this.
Bee-L is moderated and made for INFORMED discussion on bee topics.
To me, a lot of suggestions about alternative methods and so on sound like pure superstition, BUT: I am not a scientist, nor have I given the theory a try. If the theory is discussed, tested and turns out to be right, both amateurs and professionals will benefit from it.
If a wild idea can be shot down by facts and logical argumenting, lets not waste more time on it - but a good idea can also be killed by nobody responding!

An example: Gary Lewis brought up a question about the use of grapefruit leaf smoke against varroa - along with a scource to the research being made.
You experienced beekeepers may know something about this subject, that I never heard about - and thus not responding
Why not give a beginner like me the chance and add Your comment? Or refer to information available elsewhere? Then I may end up being informed some day..

If the list is ACTIVELY kept open to suggestions, it may be that THE good idea is brought up here and tried out and perfected for the joy of me and my bees and the saving of the professionalīs buisness - Iīm sure he loves his bees just as well.

Thanks for Your time and every piece of new knowledge - I learn every day.

Lars Hansen
Denmark