Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:39:02 -0700
Hi all,

I've been feeding six new hives which I pulled out of feral sites since
August, and this weekend I found four of  them to be exceptionally weak
on honey-stores.  These hives have been fed nearly non-stop (baggie
method, 1-gallon sugar/water top-feeders, & chopped-up comb - mush &
large pieces).
My hope was that they'd build up a bit to have a chance for the winter.
To my concern,  it seems that even the 20-30 lbs/each of feed I've given
each of them has literally disappeared .  How could they eat so much?
I'd understand if they could carry the weight on their bodies.....they'd
all be fat little things.

The bees are there, one to two full-depth supers full of wax & bees,
though they're WAY light (estimate the hives weigh 10-40 lbs more than
they would weigh bare-framed & bee-less) .

This is greatly disappointing considering the effort I've spent in
giving these bees a chance (they were all to be killed by pesticide
unless I removed them).
I'm fairly certain robbing hasn't occured as I've watched for evidence
(no mass of dead bees from fighting nor ragged ripped-open comb) unless
the bees have repaired the damage to the comb & carried off their dead
before my inspections.

We're in Colorado and the weather's been changing rapidly from day to
day since October - mostly for colder days & freezing nights.  My better
hives are heavy (100-200lbs) and I was planning on giving these weaker
hives their extra stores.

Still, I'd like to know if anyone has an idea on why these bees are
exceptionally needy?

Thanks in advance of anyone's suggestion.

Matthew in Castle Rock, CO