From:
Bob Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:16:36 EST

Can  anyone tell me if it  is possible to get honey from Gorse?

Well Gorse or Ulex europaeus is a member of the pea, Leguminoseae or Fabeceae
family.  Fabeceae is the new botanic family name. It is a good source of
pollen in the UK in April when it is flowering at its best but it flowers all
year. We have a saying that when the gorse is in flower kissing is in season!

As for nectar most books only list it as a pollen source, although Howes in
his book "Plants & Beekeeping" does say that it probalbly could secrete under
the right conditions. It is related closely to Broom, Cutisus ( both being
members of thse Papilioatae ) -now broom has no nectar but peas, clover and
beans do!

The answers seems to be maybe if you have enough of it with no other more
desirable forage near by.

Hope that helps and once I am over the flu and can collect some flowers for
dissection a fuller answer can follow.

Bob Gilbert