From:
aweinert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 22:49:52 +0000
Hi,
I have been listening to the discussion about entrances etc with
interest.  Here in Tropical North Queensland , Australia  any  upper
entrance is immediatly  propolised up. In fact one of the locals here
 uses flat boards only on top, no upper air space for  bur comb etc.

With the discussion about upper entrances etc  has anyone  tried the
main entrance  above the brood box at the base of the  supers?

From the comments   so far  it appears  that  the bees go down to the
brood as required and go up  to store honey.

An entrance above the brood chamber will stop cold drafts an allow
for some  temperature regulation, perhaps better  regulation.

If this is so then  is there a need for a  lower entrance for the
removal of  dropped bits etc by the bees?

Also what is the Australian experience with this?  I have not heard
much  about  upper entrances in Australia.

Thanks

Andrew Weinert
When standing at the
edge of a cliff