From:
Alan Riach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 19:01:22 +0100
Re Tom in CT's question on cedar hives - these are the ideal hive in
damp UK(we've had one of the wettest summers ever here in Scotland
incidently) Most of our bee equipment suppliers only offer cedar now.
However I've noticed that re-plant cedar isn't nearly as good as
original growth ( which has a much stronger smell ) for resisting rot.
Recently we have started getting Brazilian cedar which seems to have a
stronger smell.We always get our USA cedar boards in 7/8 inch thickness
whereas the pine boards are 3/4, anyone know why ?

Happy honey hunting,
Alan Riach in Scotland