From:
tomas mozer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:38:56 EDT
thanks for your detailed response!
just as a postscript/update: the barge from south africa was carrying a
large crane
or other heavy machinery in which the hive had situated itself out of
sight and reach
(they had to tent the entire thing to exterminate); venezuela does have
africanized bees, and coincidentally two weeks later an african bee find
at another florida port which had been loaded at the port of la guaira
(where the durban barge had also stopped) consisted of  apparent swarm
remnants (queenless) whose individuals sampled had a remarkable
similarity to the original find (queenright)...these bees
had an extra forewing flap rarely seen or previously reported, as well as
a unique
marking on the thorax (dorsal posterior mesothorax). we are awaiting
further id test
results, including possible dna analysis...will bee in touch when we know
more!