From:
BLANE WHITE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:18:15 CST6CDT
 Aaron Morris asked

> What is the lethal
> temperature for spores of Bacillus larvae (American Foulbrood)?

I have been away from the microbiology lab for quite a while so
someone please correct me if the is wrong.
To kill sterilize something ie kill all living organisms requires
live steam and temperatures of 250+ F or about 150 C for 15 minutes.
Note that the steam is very important here this is equal to a
pressure cooker at 10 psi for 15 minutes if memory serves.  To do the
same ie sterilize with dry heat you would need to place it in a oven
at 350 F  for over an hour.  As you can easily see these conditions
are well beyond temperatures at which wax will be all melted that is
why ethylene oxide or radiation is used as they don't require that
much heat and the comb can be reused.
Hope this helps  the memory is getting old and maybe slightly off but
the just is there.

blane

Blane White
State Apiary Inspector