From:
John Wilkerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:08:08 -0400
Greg J Zujus wrote:

> When checking the brood chamber of the smaller hive I noticed numerous
> little mites running about on top of the frames. Now I am not sure what
> kind of mites these are or if they even effect the bees.  My question is should I do some kind of mite
> treatment now ?
> Greg Z
> Mystic, CT

Greg,

 Florida as had a beelte outbreak back in May.(East coast)  I saw
samples today, they are about 5-7mm in lenght and dark brown/black in
color and originated from Africa.  Much larger than a Varroa mite. The
beetle lives on the honey and pollen within the hive and kills the brood
when they tunnel through the wax.  Reading the literature it mentions
the bees cannot stand the smell of these beetles and will vacate their
own hive and no other bees will rob the honey.  The honey will start to
run out of the cone and pool in the bottom of the hive.  They will run
at the sign of light and are active outside the hive at night.

I don't won't to speculate or even suggest these are the same so please
take this as information only.

John Wilkerson