From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 17:50:58 -0800
At 05:08 PM 1/18/98 -0700, you wrote:

Hi Jerry & All,

I was going to take this private but since so many beekeepers are into web
pages I did not as web page making seems to be a part of beekeeping today
as it is to bee science and bee regulation.

>Andy, that last message clearly shows you are learning to use html.  But,
>it is a bit distracting to read e-mail with html code embedded in it.

Sorry about that but like you say you need to get on the cutting edge and
get a mail reader that handles the html code same as I need to get a more
advanced pc to view your beautiful web page.<G>  I am actually working on
that, (viewing your index page), as a friend has invited me over to see
your pages on his Pet II and he says it looks OK to him and he is able to
view it without the east-west scroll bars. He would not say it was great as
he is a web page designer and not a beekeeper.

Actually the html code was in the message I was adding to and was in fact
someone's quite lines and I missed it as the mail reader I use, Eudora v.4
does html code and sends a quoted message without it and I just missed it.

>Most of the more recent Word Processors allow you to automatically save
>documents in either text or html.  Thus, you can save in one mode for your
>web page and another for your e-mail.

>Also, in an earlier message  you commented that it was taking  some time
>to learn html.  Learning html gives you more flexibility than the canned
>Word Processors and Web building software, but it also has its learning
>curve downside.

Yep, thats the way of the computer, but it is sure nice to have a program
to start with.

>However, I suspect that you haven't noticed that for most web pages,
>hitting View Source will allow you to see how someone else handled
>specific coding.  Lots easier than trying to figure it on your own.

Is that not stealing someone else's ideas?<G> But it is sure a nice feature
and I am printing them out as examples to follow.

>JAVA and CGI scripts are usually hidden, but most standard HTML is readily
>available for view.  Some of the newer web page making software tries to
>hide more of the coding.  But there are plenty of examples that can be
>seen.  Also, I assume that you have learned to move your cursor over an
>image and click the right button.

I have found several test drives and shareware programs that are just full
of  Java examples but I also have found that most of that good stuff really
slows down the visitor at least it does me with only a 200mph cp and X-2 PP
modem and I will start with a minimum of fancy code so even the low end
beekeeper can get in and out of my site. I hope to have people come looking
for content. <BG>

>Remember, the image you like may be copyrighted.

You mean I got to dump all those Pam Andersons pictures off my hard drive,
that will be a bad day when the computer police brake my door down and take
my HD so they can eye ball them down in their squad room at the station
house.

>Finally, you commented that you were moving from UNIX to Windows.  There
>are software packages readily available for free that can turn your UNIX
>box into a SERVER.  We just went the other direction, from PC to UNIX for
>more flexibility and better multi-tasking.  Either will work, but if you
>know UNIX, which many of us don't, why move to Windows?

Actually I have several PC's and one that I use for my bbs is dos and run's
a unix to unix mail program for the bbs, but that part it is down now as I
am changing providers for the beenet.com address and may just go the web
page route and won't need nothing but the winds of 95. I will miss the dos
and Desqview task switching/multi-tasking.

ttul, the OLd Drone

... How doth the little busy bee
"no well with these electrodes up my privates"