From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 00:24:12 +0100
Andy Nachbaur wrote:

> >Andy, that last message clearly shows you are learning to use html.  But,
> >it is a bit distracting to read e-mail with html code embedded in it.
>
> Sorry about that but like you say you need to get on the cutting edge and
> get a mail reader that handles the html code same as I need to get a more
> advanced pc to view your beautiful web page.<G>  I am actually working on
> that, (viewing your index page), as a friend has invited me over to see
> your pages on his Pet II and he says it looks OK to him and he is able to
> view it without the east-west scroll bars. He would not say it was great as
> he is a web page designer and not a beekeeper.

This is only related to ones monitor.  Jerry is accurate about monitor
display size but the problem is, most people browsing the internet are
still on a 14" monitor that will not accommodate pages the size of
Jerry's.  You also really hurt the web tv people by going wider than 474
(somewhere around there) pixels as they can't do anything about it but
scroll.  Just be happy we all don't have to view web pages from window
sizes that AOL uses!!!

> >Also, in an earlier message  you commented that it was taking  some time
> >to learn html.  Learning html gives you more flexibility than the canned
> >Word Processors and Web building software, but it also has its learning
> >curve downside.
>
> Yep, thats the way of the computer, but it is sure nice to have a program
> to start with.
>
> >However, I suspect that you haven't noticed that for most web pages,
> >hitting View Source will allow you to see how someone else handled
> >specific coding.  Lots easier than trying to figure it on your own.
>
> Is that not stealing someone else's ideas?<G> But it is sure a nice feature
> and I am printing them out as examples to follow.

Yikes!  There are lots more interesting things to do with ones time than
to create web pages using raw HTML code.  I guess real geeks do it that
way but with all the different editors out there (of which some are
free), the need to write code is limited to tweeking something that your
editor won't do.

> I have found several test drives and shareware programs that are just full
> of  Java examples but I also have found that most of that good stuff really
> slows down the visitor at least it does me with only a 200mph cp and X-2 PP
> modem and I will start with a minimum of fancy code so even the low end
> beekeeper can get in and out of my site. I hope to have people come looking
> for content. <BG>

You make a good point.  I would be very careful using cutting edge
technology in ones website as 90 percent of those visiting your site are
still on the dull edge of technology.

> >Remember, the image you like may be copyrighted.
>
> You mean I got to dump all those Pam Andersons pictures off my hard drive,

It all depends on how you got them.  I assume Pam gave them to you
herself in which case you keep them and Hefner and the police get
nothing. :>)  Be sure to let us know when you get your site up so we can
check out how you handled specific coding.

Regards

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey