From:
"Walter T. Weller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:28:46 -0500
Garth -

Here in Louisiana, my gentle bees, even if undisturbed, routinely will
make unprovoked attacks on black workers as much as ten yards away.  I
have laid this to the highly-scented after-shave lotions that these
individuals regularly use.  I wonder if the black victims of your bees
use similar cosmetics.

I have noticed the same sort of "discrimination" with mosquitoes also.
For example, a black man and I were building fences around the farm, both
sweating like mules, and he was being eaten alive by mosquitoes while I
was receiving hardly a bite.  I remarked on this experience to a New
Orleans physician who replied matter-of-factly that some individuals
excrete certain B-vitamins in their perspiration, and that this repels
mosquitoes.  He said further that he had tried for years to find a way to
apply this knowledge for the benefit of the public and his financial
gain, but was totally unsuccessful.  Note:  my wife and our children do
not share my mosquito-repelling characteristic.  Recessive trait,
perhaps, having nothing to do with black/white differences.

Walter Weller
Post Office Box 270
Wakefield, Louisiana  70784