From:
STEVE PHILLIPS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 12:56:04 -0600
I agree with Murray McGregor's two recent messages concerning organic honey.

Some others on the Bee-L seem to be  missing the point that the new U.S.D.A. regulations are simply a reflection of what people expect when they buy a product labeled organic--that ALL inputs be organic.  Whether this is a rational expectation is another issue, but it is what they expect.

I have been very frustrated trying to produce and market honey on a small, local scale when other local producers are willing to slap an organic label on their "unorganic" honey and thereby dominate the local market.  The insistance of some beekeepers in the U.S. on marketing "organic" honey, when it does not meet the buyer's expectations, proves the need for the new U.S.D.A. regulations.

Steve Phillips
Perry, KS