From:
MARK G SPAGNOLO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 07:31:54 -1000
Aloha:

I am in disagreement with John concerning supercedure and pollen traps.  I
see a definate connection between the rate of supercedure with pollen traps
and without.

Usually I install the traps in groups of 50.  I know that the 50 hives
currently trapping pollen will have around 10% supercedure within a month
of installing the traps.  Other yards of 50 in the same area at the same
time will not have any supercedure.

The advertisement seen in the bee journals for pollen traps from a
particular company states that honey production will increase with traps.
I would like to see some proof.  My experience has been the opposite.

All of my hives have young queens (I requeen every hive in October of every
year), and all hives are run in double deeps.

My advise if you are going to trap pollen; have a good supply of queens
available when you initially install the traps and watch for dwindling.

Pollen trapping has been very profitable for me.  I make a lot more money
on pollen than honey.  Here in Hawaii I can trap pollen for nine or ten
months of the year and I average around a pound of pollen per week per
hive.

I hope this information helped.

Mark in Hawaii