From:
Constill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 01:09:40 EST
Regarding cities where beekeeping is illegal- The Village of Patchogue, Long
Island (South Shore, half way between New York City and Montauk Point) has an
ordinance prohibiting anyone harboring infestations of insects, aimed of
course at beekeepers.  My father-in-law said that every one in the village was
breaking the law, because in the old houses, everyone will be harboring
infestations of insects- termites! We live 4 miles west of Patchogue, in
Bayport, have 4 hives on 1/4 acre. Our next door neighbor didn't even remember
that we kept bees untill we presented her with our first jar of honey 16 years
ago. In a neighboring town there was a beekeeper who had his hives in the
upper floor of an old garage or barn. He owned a local laundromat and used the
cotton socks (the ones that disappear from your drier) for his smoker fuel.
What a fascinating hobby this is. Have you folks noticed the huge amount of
bee "stuff" there is to buy these days, from wall plaques to cabinet door
pulls to teddy bears dressed in bee costumes, and all sorts of fabrics with
bee motifs. We are redecorating our kitchen to show off our skep collection,
to put up all the plaques and cards we have collected.  One thing I am looking
for is a skep shaped brass bell. I have several ceramic one, but a brass one
would be a nice addition. We just sent in an order for some Buckfast bees for
the spring. Looking forward to trying these out, we have 2 italian and one
Carni hive now. Bee talking to you- Conni and Clifford Still