From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 13:29:37 +0100
This is more botany than bees but perhaps someone can add something.

I've just read that the British agriculture ministry (MAFF) are to
commission some work into the presence of dangerous alkaloids in ragwort
nectar.  I don't know the worldwide distribution of ragwort (Senecio
jacobaea) but it's certainly widespread throughout northern Europe
including the British Isles.  It's clasified here as a "noxious weed".
(It's poisonous to livestock.)  This means that farmers are supposed to
eradicate it from their fields.  Nevertheless, there's still plenty of
it around.

I have a particular interest because I get quite a good crop off ragwort
late in the summer.  It is said that pure ragwort honey has an
unpleasant taste (the alkaloids?)  However, in my case, it's mixed in
with lots of other things, mainly blackberry and tastes very good.
Should I be worried about selling this honey or even eating it myself?

--
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 5104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301