From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 02:16:47 -0300
>>Can anyone suggest the sources of the black and dark-green pollen loads,
>>appearing lately (past month or so) in our pollen traps?  Location is
>>central NY State.

Sorry Joel, I do not know the sources.  However, I confirm that I am also
getting such pollen in Prince Edward Island.  It certainly does not seem to
be a smut (it tastes fine) and there is way too much for it to be from
poppies or sunflowers.  It is the main pollen coming in to some of the
traps.  I find some to be blue black more than green black.

I am surprised to still see it now that goldenrod has started here.  As
Vince Coppola once noted my eyes started to itch working the hives as soon
as the first flowers opened.