From:
MR MARK G SPAGNOLO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:01:09 -0500
Martin makes a good point with his questioning of the development of
any possible resistance to mites through exposure and the lack of
exposure to mites by Kona Queens.

At one time in the past the absence of mites in Hawaii was a big
selling point.  If you didn't have mites why would you buy queens
with mites?  Then, as the mite situation changed, the lack of
exposure to mites, assuming you believe that bees can develop a
resistance, became a negative.

After a lot of thought, we decided to improve our breeding program
and Artifical Insemination program by using semen from drones from
the mainland of the United States.  These bees had been exposed to
mites and survived.  By using artificial insemination we are able to
preserve our mite free status and breed for resistance.

Every Summer we take several trips to difference places around the US
and Canada to collect semen.  This is then returned to Hawaii and
used to inseminate virgin queens.

I am not convinced that resistance can be bred into bees, but we feel
that breeding from surviving colonies that also show other good
characteristics; color, honey production, temperament and such, can
only be good.

Aloha

Mark at Kona Queen