From:
"p.munn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:07:29 GMT+0
Hi Penny and B-Liners

My ancient ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping refers to poisonous honey being used
as a form of chemical warfare in 400BC in an ancient country on the Black
Sea. Apparently Rhododendron Honey , collected from hives! was used to
render 10000 soldiers senseless for a day or two.

The same ABC and XYZ refers to Mountain Laurel (Kalma latifolia) honey as
being poisonous. Apparently 15 pounds were analyzed but no poisonous
substance was identified. However when some of the honey was consumed it
produced a tingling in the feet and toes; then difficulty in standing '
followed by a severe headache.

It is advised to test the honey by first feeding it to a dog and observing
its behaviour.

Refer to the 1972 ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping, A I ROOT CO.    pp511 -512

regards to the List

Peter Wilson
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

Hello Peter and list,
Thank you for this information. I presume Rhododendron honey is only
poisonous under certain conditions - these plants grow wild all
across the west coast of  Scotland but I don't think they contribute
much to my honey. They flower quite early in the year and the bees
don't pay them much attention. (I hope not, anyway!) I've put in an
order for  the ABC & XYZ - it sounds just my kind of bedtime reading,
although getting the 1972 edition is probably a little beyond the university
bookstore.

Penny Munn,
Preston, Lancashire
(but the bees live in Cumbernauld, Scotland)