From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:39:12 -0700
Well, I've been away for a couple of days and was quite surprised to see the intensity of the reaction to my inquiry about oil getting in honey.  My post was not an "argument ... for the sake of argumentation".  I simply wanted to spark some conversation on whether or not noticeable amounts of oil end up in the honey with this method.  I hadn't heard any proponents address the question (and still haven't).

I am NOT against using mineral oil (or essential oils either for that matter) in the hives, and I did not knowingly attack Dr. Rodriguez' contribution to beekeeping.  I just need more information.  I don't know enough yet to risk a honey crop.  The people who get honey from me would not be happy about anything they perceived as a contaminant in my "pure" honey, whether it was food grade or not.  My reputation would be mud.  (And no, I don't leave Apistan on my honey crop either.)

I appreciate the work Dr. Rodriguez and others are doing in this area, and genuinely hope to benefit from it.  I just need more info and would prefer not getting torched for asking about a legitimate concern.  If the tone of my original note was offensive, I apologize.  It was not intended to be.

Michael Reddell
      Dr. P. Rodriguez wrote:
Dear Friends:
   It is saddening for me to see people making arguments (pro or contra)
just about any subject for the sake of argumentation...