From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 08:00:16 -0700
Walter,
I agree that fluvalinate is probably harmless to humans, but I am
getting more gun-shy about any "pesticide", organic or not. I recognize
that most of what we eat can cause cancer if you distill out the cancer
causing agent and feet a ton or so to a poor rat. But there are some
pesticides that stay with you even if you only eat small amounts. If you
are young and having a family, There might be enough to cause just a
small genetic change, if the chemical bonds to a dna chain. The most
recent group of pesticides were supposed to interfere with the hormones
of insects and they are doing the same with larger animals, like
alligators in Florida. Some lakes have few gators because of the
chemical runoff. And the pesticides were supposed to be less harmful to
the environment because they targeted specific insects. They are
actually more harmful than the good old stuff.
I use pesticides. Even sevin which is deadly to bees. So I am not a
flaming environmentalist, but I would not want to contaminate my honey,
and that includes mint and other flavored oils. I eat lots of my honey,
but I also give it to my family and friends. I also have a mother-in-law
who is allergic to shell fish. Could a honey contaminate be as deadly?
She gets hospitalized if she eats a french fry cooked in the same oil as
fried shrimp. Small amounts of peanuts in food can kill someone allergic
to them.
It just is not worth it, no matter how benign the add-on might be.
But it might be a good way to get rid of mother-in-laws. Just kidding.
You are a patient man to put up with all the words flung your way from
just asking a simple question, which no one, including me, has answered.
I think the reason is, no one knows for sure if fluvalinate is totally
safe, since even broccolli is not. Just ask George Bush.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME