From:
Tim Damon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:41:30 -0500
----------
> From: David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Vandalism may sink a young beekeeper
> Date: Monday, March 24, 1997 3:14 PM
>
> On 21 Mar 97 at 15:17, David Green wrote: Vandalism may sink a young
> beekeeper
>

> > Vandals "Bite the Hand that Feeds Them"
> >
> >    A young beekeeper, just getting started, has been dealt at
devastating
> > blow by vandals who destroyed about $20,000 worth of bees that he had
leased
> > from another beekeeper to be his breeding stock.  Losses could total
more, if
> > he finds that the frames of comb are contaminated and unusable for
> > replacement bees.
>
> "Proposition"
> WHEREAS the Bee-L is dedicated to the preservation and expansion of
> beekeepers. It is proposed that a $5 donation from each subscriber of
> Bee-L be made to help alleviate some of the problems caused by the latest
> vandalism.
>
>         Can I get a seconder?

> The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
> Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
> David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
> Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
> http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks

      My heart goes out to this young beekeeper and I would be more than
happy to help out with a small donation. However, lets not forget that
there was a CRIME committed here. I would be equally as happy to contribute
to a "reward fund" as well, to aid in the apprehension and successful
prosecution of these "rustlers". We can not simply write this off as an act
of vandalism, truth of the matter is that this was a vicious attack on a
tax paying citizen of the U.S., and his livelihood. Yes, maybe this young
man should have placed these bee in a safer location, but does that justify
this destruction. I ask, what is being done to apprehend these criminals?
Is there an ongoing investigation? Was there any news coverage of this
crime?
       I recall that in the 70's there was a young man in my hometown that
was caught killing beef cattle of a local rancher. He had been "poaching"
for several weeks, when  on one drunken night he mistakenly killed several
of the ranchers prize breeding bulls. At this the rancher put up a reward
which led to an arrest. The "rustler" did several months in jail, paid
hefty fines and restitution, in addition to months of community service.
This destruction of bee stock is no different. These offenders need to be
held responsible.
      Maybe we should be pressuring the local law enforcement agency for
the status of this investigation, as well as contacting the news media,
(assuming it has not been done). This could be made into a cornerstone of
public awareness for the plight of beekeepers worldwide and of the
tremendous service that they provide in the feeding of the world.
       This was more than an attack on an individual, it was an attack on
the industry -- YOUR Industry, -----meaning YOU and ME! Now just maybe I am
out in left field on this one, but this has touched a nerve in me for some
reason. Would there be support form those on the list, should I be able to
establish contact with the proper agencies there in South Carolina. I feel
we must put the pressure on to push for an arrest and conviction in this
case. Your thoughts?

Mad in Ann Arbor, MI ---Tim