From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:24:05 -0400
In light of Barry Birkey's experience, I'll share some specifics:

1.  I like to have a gathering of folks help with uncapping, extracting and
cleanup.  Everyone likes to have a turn with the "hot knife" and sometimes
they'll push a little hard or whatever.  When I use the knife I don't
normally have this problem, unless the knife comes unplugged, but they'll
literally pull a little foundation from the plastic.  I don't want to turn
it up much more because it starts smoking it gets so hot.

2.  From time to time some drone brood is in one of the honey supers.  With
other foundation I'll just take a hive tool and cut it out.  The next year
the bees draw it back out.  Not so with Duragilt.  It will create a "bald"
spot.

3.  I suspect that the bees "borrow" wax from one frame to cap off another
or finish drawing out some comb.  I'm not sure but it just happens and you
have  another "bald" spot.  If it's a great flow this is not a problem.  I
don't have this with other foundation.  This is not a major problem but I
just don't have it with other foundation.

It is true that this is not a major problem.  It's just a nagging problem.
I think that we all like to see nice full frames completely capped off with
no "bald" spots or incompletely drawn areas for that matter.  Since
Permadent is priced comparably (I think I get it cheaper than Duragilt!)
and doesn't have the problem, it makes sense to me to use it.  Unless I
hear that RiteCell is better than Permadent I'll stick with Permadent.  I
feel that it gives me the most bang for the buck in honey supers.  As I
stated in my last post concerning foundation, wired wax is my choice for
brood because I can recycle the wax that I pull out of hives.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX