From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 11:33:26 -0700
> Is it possible to use soy meal, like you buy at the grain elevator to
> feed cows, in place of soy flour in a pollen substitute?  I can only find
> soy flour at the local health food store, and they want $1.45 per pound,
> whereas I can buy soy meal at the elevator for around $8.00 for 50
> pounds, quite a savings, assuming it can be used for feeding bees.

In Western Canada, people use Honeysoy soyaflour from Honeymead in
Mankato, Minn, 56001.  Delivered here, it is about $11 US for 25kg (55lbs)

> Where do people purchase brewers yeast at a reasonable price?  Again I
> can only find it at the health food store for $5.29 per pound.  Is there
> somewhere it can be ordered in bulk?

Animal feed companies sell Brewer's yeast cheaply.  We got some from
ShurGain.  Mark mentioned Spray Dry in CA.  (I wonder if he can provide a
fax or phone number, or better yet, email)?

I have some concerns that some brands may be superior to others, so it is
likely best to use what another successful beekeeper uses.  I haven't used
the SureGain yeast yet, and am going to try contacting several other