From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 10:42:43 -0800
On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Allen Dick wrote:

> > This person used one method, in syrup, and was partially wrong to
> > use syrup in a hive top feeder. Until someone who has used it
> > correctly over a period of time comes along to tell us it doesn't
> > work, then I suggest we keep an open mind.
> >         Comments?
>
> I agree.
>
> Essential oils promise some -- perhaps considerable -- assistance in
> dealing with many bee diseases, including even foulbrood.
>
> The problem is that methods of application, acceptable levels,
> toxicity to bees (and people) and many other important factors
> surrounding use in bee hives have not been established with
> sufficient certainty to make oils a foolproof and routine treatment.
>
> We are still at the experimental stage -- at least in America -- and
> we are likely in for some surprises, both pleasant, and not.  Anyone
> using these recommendations should restrict the number of hives in
> the test to what he/she can afford to lose.  IMO anyhow.
>
> BTW, did anyone read the article in Speedy Bee about Apistan
> resistance in Swit.

 Hi Allen, I agree with being careful with essential Oils. They are toxic
to bees if you mix too much in your pattys or syurp. I feel that pattys
are better in the fall. Stay away from putting more moisture into the
hive. I was putting some in some of my hives yesterday. I am using honey
instead of sugar. Not boiled honey. My bees look great this fall. After I
did get my Butt kicked by Varroa last fall , I was shure that , that will
not happen again. I did use apistan in september. We do need to walk slow
with the use of Essential Oils. I do think that they should be good for
some time longer than apistan.
 Best Regards
Roy