From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:45:18 -0500
>Dave from Scranton wrote:
>>Finally after 3 summers and one bear, I got my first crop of 23
>pounds. It's in my kitchen in a 5 pound bucket that I got from the local
>donut shop for $1.00.<
>
>Prithee tell:
>
>How dost thee get 23 lbs of anything - never mind honey - in a 5 lb
>bucket? :-)

rather, 5 gal. -- standard 5 gallon pail  -- would hold about 60 lbs honey.
the doughnut makers buy their jelly or cream filling in them, and if you're
lucky you can find a store where they will save them for you.

used to be they would be free for the asking, then they started charging 50
cents, then 75 cents, and more

lately I have had to pay $1 or even $1.20 apiece and they are getting
harder to find or accumulate

i wonder if maybe they have gotten popular with gardeners or other DIY
enthusiasts, so demand for the used pails has risen(?)