From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 20:18:51 -0500
I was going thru my stacks of supers in storage today and of course found
evidence of wax moths.  The supers are stored 6 or 7 high, outside on a
stands made of 2x6's, and covered.  (Thanks to the mites, I have not added
the supers to my colonies in the usual quantity, since the bees haven't
needed so many.)

As I expected, the moths were going to town on the super combs which were
dark - i.e., which had had brood reared in them at some point.  The supers
containing light comb, even old light comb, were not being ravaged by the
moths (yet, anyway).

So I wonder...If there are no combs in which brood has been reared (or
pollen stored), will the wax moths still damage them eventually?? That is,
if the moths are desperate enough,will they attack light comb and find
enough traces of nutritional substances in them to feed on and inhabit
them.  BTW I have not put any moth crystals or any other repellent on the
stacks.

Also, do folks find that super combs left sticky, after extracting, deter
the moths?   Thanks for any comments,               JWG