From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 08:42:29 -0600
> I've noticed that there are a number of bees doing the renovation
> thing on the entrance reducer (I've got it on small) trying to
> enlarge the opening.  Makes quite a racket!
>
> Should I take this as a sign and give them the larger opening?  I'm
> planning on going in and inspecting today if the weather holds so it
> would be a good time.

Yes.

I don't know the total area of entrance presently available to them
now, but in most areas, several square inches - often in the shape of
a long slit -- is quite reasonable.

If they have only one tiny entrance, they could cook, since they need
enough entrance(s) to bring air in and also air out.

Some people use masking tape for reducers.  This allows the bees to
adjust to their needs.

Hope this helps

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>