From:
Mason Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mason Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 13:24:41 -0500
Hello Bee Folks!

I have a problem with crystalized honey in the comb.  How does one get it out??
I have about 20 frames that are totally crrstalized.  Can you heat the frames
somehow to remove it?  The honey flow is almost always on here south of San
Francisco so the bees are not real interested in removeing the crystalized
honey themselves. (This is my opinion and could be somewhat wrong).   This
honey is from frames they did not touch over the winter as they were gathering
what they needed to survive.

Someone told me that I might try putting the supers of crystalized honey under
the brood chamber.  The bees will not like it there and move it up into the
honey supers.  Has anyone had any luck doing this?  The comb is on plastic
foundation so I thought, as a last resort, I could scrape off the comb and melt
it down in a solar wax melter. I would really like to try to save the drawn out
comb if I could.

Anyone with knowledge on how to procede with this problem please contact me
personally or, If you think this is a worthy topic, post to the list.

Thanks!

Mason D. Harris
Department of Audiology
San Mateo County Office of Education