From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 08:39:31 AST
Here in the more temperate coastal area of Alaska we can usually count on
weather for cleansing flights into October.  Then again in late March or early
April.  We may have cleansing flights in between and maybe not.  There are
absolutely no sources of pollen between mid September and mid to late  April
when the willows bloom.  Often daytime temperatures in April do not make the
pollen or nectar of the earliest blooms available to the bees.  On rarer
occasions I have had packages increase their honey stores from April blooms, so
they would also have been bringing in pollen.

I am not suggesting that bees cannot make it through the winter.  Just that it
takes a lot more special attention than I read about in the Journals.  I have
never kept bees anywhere else so my experience is limited.  I have had bees here
in the Anchorage area for about 13 years (my limitation as an accountant is
showing again I know).

------

I don't think the winters in the UK are like those in Alaska!

        From: Keith Hooker <[log in to unmask]>

          What do you call a long winter?  Although we get low(ish)
        temperatures and grotty conditions our bees can usually find a day or
        two per month when they can get out on cleaning flights.  There are
        even a few pollen sources available.