From:
Dave Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 1995 11:46:09 -0500
Help please,

My home, where I keep several colonies as a hobby beekeeper, has
become surrounded by cotton fields.  Farmers in southeastern Virginia
have invested their cropland increasingly in cotton.  More gins are
being planned and built.

I am looking for information/opinions regarding the pros and cons of cotton as
a honey plant.  I understand that cotton is somewhat unusual in that
the plants have extrafloral nectaries, places apart from the bloom
which give nectar,  apparently are designed to attract beneficial insects.  I also
understand there is a high spray schedule for cotton, although I
don't know why:  I understand a defoliant is one of the last
applications.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the beneficial effect of honey bees on
cotton  for  both the farmer and beekeeper in terms of pollination and
honey production, respectively?  What about a downside with regard
to pesticide applications on these fields, many of which are well
within a one half-mile radius from the colonies?  The plants are
beginning to bloom now, and I've noticed what looks like insect
traps around the field borders.

Real curious,

Dave Johnson
Suffolk,  VA