From:
Diana Sammataro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 1994 07:40:55 -0400
I am reading with interest the cool queens. It is my understanding that queens
will be damaged if they are cooled WHILE A QUEEN CELL. This happens to breeders
who pull off queen cells to move the the mating nucs and the cells get chilled
in the process.

For cool insects, read Heinrich's new Hot Blooded Insects.

Regarding Varroa: work done in our lab and by Dr. Glen Needham and Dr. Bill
Bruce, USDA, on water loss in mites, demonstrate that Vmites will not dry out
too fast if they can feed on bee hemolymph. If the bees dry out, so do the
mites, so it may be that those bees in the cells were not dry and the VM could
survive there longer.

When restocking dead colonies with live bees, it might be a good idea to let it
dry out thoroughly to avoid this.

For tracheal mites, my research shows that veg oil patties work well, if kept
on the hives allthe time.

Hope your bee season is fruitful.

Diana Sammataro
Dept Entomology